Metadata records for all data sets are uploaded into a catalog service called GeoNetwork. This is an Opensource application designed to connect data to spatial information. There is a local, online web search interface, but the catalog can also be searched (or harvested) directly by other applications using CSW-ISO, OAI-PMH, and OpenSearch protocols. For human searches, see the “Search for Data” section of the CMGDS home page, or see “Other metadata catalogs” below.
- GeoNetwork metadata search - URL access points.
- Search using CSW-ISO can be accessed using "http://cmgds.marine.usgs.gov/geonetwork/srv/en/csw?service=CSW&version=2.0.2&request=GetCapabilities" - The Get Capabilities Document
- Search using OAI-PMH can be accessed using "http://cmgds.marine.usgs.gov/geonetwork/srv/en/oaipmh?verb=Identify" - The Identify response
- Search using OpenSearch can be accessed using "http://cmgds.marine.usgs.gov/geonetwork/srv/en/portal.opensearch?getDescriptionDocument" - The OpenSearch Description
- Other metadata catalogs - CMGDS is harvested by the following services.
- DATA.GOV - provides descriptions of the Federal datasets (metadata), information about how to access the datasets, and tools that leverage government datasets. This collection is also available in the Ocean community.
- GEO.DATA.GOV - geospatial catalog that is being integrated into DATA.GOV with a user interface to highlight the display of geospatial data. The map viewer is at http://geo.data.gov/viewer/webmap/viewer.html
- USGS Core Science Metadata Clearinghouse " - contains standardized metadata descriptions of earth science data sets and information products. Metadata descriptions follow the Federal Geographic Data Committee's (FGDC's) Content Standards for Digital Geospatial Metadata.
- NOAA's Geophysical Data System to access data at NGDC, which is where USGS archives single channel bathymetry, gravity, magnetic data, and samples. The bathy/grav/mag data can be searched at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/geodas/trackline.html. The samples can be searched at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/curator/curator.html