USGS - science for a changing world

USGS Coastal and Marine Geology Program

Field Activity Details for field activity 1982-017-FA

Other ID: WHALER-1

Status: Completed

Organization(s): USGS, Woods Hole Coastal and Marine Science Center

Funding Program(s):

Principal Investigator(s): George B. Tirey

Affiliate Investigator(s):

Information Specialist(s):

Data Type(s): Seismics: Sparker

Scientific Purpose/Goals: 1. Delineate the depth to the top of bedrock below the river surface. 2. Determine the location and dimensions of aquifers that transect the river.


Start Port/Location:

End Port/Location:

Start Date: 1982-06-16

End Date: 1982-06-17

Equipment Used: Innerspace Technology 25-joule sparker

Information to be Derived:

Summary of Activity and Data Gathered: The base of operation was the State Park at Southampton, MA. Spark source and array were towed 50 feet astern of the whaler. Navigation was provided by visual sights on known land marks. The data quality were good to excellent over about 75 percent of the track run. Data from the other 25 percent of the track were poor with limited or no penetration of the sub-bottom. This lack of penetration of the bottom by the acoustic energy is attributed to biogenic gas bubbles in the near surface sediments. All of the data from this survey were retained by the personnel from the Water Resources Division.

Staff: David Nichols, George B. Tirey

Affiliate Staff:
Bruce Hansen (USGS - WRD); Pete Haeni (USGS - WRD); David McKeegan (USGS - WRD)

Project = Cooperative Survey on the CT River with USGS WRD, Cooperative Survey on the CT River with USGS WRD


Connecticut River between Southampton and North Hadley, Massachusetts, United States, North America;

North: 42.425 South: 42.2 West: -72.75 East: -72.45


photo of Whaler



Data Acquired

Survey EquipmentSurvey InfoData Type(s)Data Collected
Innerspace Technology 25-joule sparker --- Sparker

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Questions or Comments? Contact CMGDS Team